What is GORE-TEX?
The GORE-TEX membrane is part of the Gore family of consumer products and it is designed to provide superior performance in a wide range of applications. The GORE-TEX products employ a three-pronged defense to protect from weather conditions, ensuring extreme climate comfort: Waterproofness, Windproofness and Breathability.
The GORE-TEX membrane is an extremely thin layer of expanded polytetrafluoroethylene (ePTFE) that has over 1.4 billion pores per square centimeter, bonded to an outer textile and, in many instances, a lining. It is durably waterproof and windproof, yet it is breathable. This means water from the outside doesn’t penetrate, cold wind doesn’t pass through, yet perspiration can escape.
As a GORE-TEX partner, we use this membrane primarily in the manufacture of our shoes, gloves, and in some of our clothing range including both jackets and pants.
What are the advantages of the GORE-TEX Products?
GORE-TEX Products technologies add several advantages to clothing and footwear:
- Durable waterproofing: GORE-TEX membrane pores are 20,000 times smaller than a water droplet, making the membrane totally waterproof. This means the user is protected from the elements.
- Breathability: GORE-TEX pores are also 700 times larger than a water vapor molecule, which allows perspiration to escape through the the garment, especially during intense effort.
- Windproofness: due to its structure, GORE-TEX membrane also protects from the wind and thereby limits wind chill (when cold wind blows through your garment, robbing your body of the warmth trapped next to your skin).
Combined with the right fabrics, GORE-TEX membrane makes lightweight, protective clothing finally available.
Which GORE-TEX technologies are used by Salomon?
At Salomon, we integrate many GORE-TEX technologies into our products:
GORE-TEX technologies in clothing:
- GORE-TEX SHAKEDRY? garments: these garments are super light, extremely breathable, and come with the GUARANTEED TO KEEP YOU DRY ? promise. The GORE-TEX membrane uniquely serves as outer layer, which means light rain simply beads up and runs right off the surface of your jacket. This technology makes it possible to design ultralight and extremely breathable jackets.
- GORE-TEX INFINIUM? WINDSTOPPER? garments: these garments are totally windproof, water resistant, very breathable and can be used in light rain or snow.
GORE-TEX active gloves
These gloves are very breathable. Even during heavy exercise less heat accumulates and less moisture is trapped in the insulation so it remains drier. They also offer GORE-TEX’s GUARANTEED TO KEEP YOU DRY? promise and are totally windproof. They provide ultimate comfort in a wide range of outdoor activities, especially skiing.
GORE-TEX technologies in footwear
We use two GORE-TEX technologies in Salomon footwear:
- GORE-TEX footwear (with Extended Comfort construction): with optimized breathability and GUARANTEED TO KEEP YOU DRY? protection, shoes using this technology are durably waterproof and breathable. We design our footwear that’s often used in wet conditions, like mountain hiking and trail running, with this technology.
- GORE-TEX Invisible Fit: this technology allows the GORE-TEX membrane to be seamlessly and invisibly integrated into footwear (no stitching), which produces a lightweight shoe that’s also durably waterproof and very breathable. In addition this technology allows a faster drying time process.
Check out our advice in these articles:
And don’t forget to properly care for your GORE-TEX Products by following our recommendations.